How to Make a Photo Light Box? Who doesn’t want to capture top-notch pictures? Product photography plays an essential role in attracting buyers and followers, respectively, whether you are a small business owner or a blogger. This is where photo lightboxes come into action. If you want to know how to make a photo lightbox, look no more as we have everything necessary covered under this article.
What is a Photo Light Box and How To Make It At Home
Before answering your query of how to build a photo lightbox, let’s first discuss in detail what it actually is. A photo lightbox is also known as a light tent or a white box commonly, and it is a box that is used for product photography and comes with a smooth white background and translucent white sides.
Capturing a picture in this lightbox guarantees a photo with good lighting, no shadows, a plain background, and looks entirely professional. The Photo Lightboxes are one of the basic things that a photographer uses for perfect product photography. These boxes are available in markets, and you can make one yourself at home too.
How to Make a Photo Studio Light Box? Building Your Own DIY Lightbox
If you don’t want to spend your dollars buying a lightbox and want to make yourself one at home, this one is for you. If you want to know how to make your own photo lightbox, here are the simple steps that you need to follow. But before moving to the steps, check if you have these things available to make one:
- White tissue paper
- White poster board
- Cardboard box
- Box cutter
- Packing tape
1- Cut out the Cardboard Box:
Now that you have a hold on a cardboard box get the box cutter and cut off the box’s top flaps. Now leaving almost one inch on each side, cut down the three sides of the box, including the right, left, and the side that is facing you. Don’t panic about cutting it perfectly, as slight imperfections don’t really matter.
2- Cut and tape Tissue Paper:
Now that you have finally got a cardboard cut for the lightbox cut down the tissue paper according to measurements of each side and start taping this tissue paper to the outside of the box. Make sure the edges are left to be taped down, and each hole is covered with tissue paper from the outside. After you are done, this is how your cardboard box will look like.
3- Use the poster board:
Finally, it is time to use the poster board by cutting it according to the width of the box. Make sure that the poster board is long enough to come out of the box. Now in order to fix it, starts taping this poster board from the top to the top of the box’s back. After that, let it drape down out of the box to create a continuous white background. To keep it still, tape the bottom of the poster board to the bottom of the box.
4- You are done!
Now that you have completed all the steps mentioned above, your lightbox is finally finished. You can now enjoy product photography by placing the product in the center of the lightbox and start capturing it! If you don’t have enough light, make sure you put it in front of a window or where natural light is available so you can get pictures with perfect lighting.
How to Take Pictures with DIY Light Box:
Now that your query of how to make a lightbox is finally answered, here is what you need to keep in mind to make the best use out of it and capture perfect pictures:
- While capturing the picture, get close to the lightbox. A close-up photo while using a lightbox is a fantastic way to show even the minor details of your products.
- Don’t forget to capture pictures of your products from different angles so that the customers know exactly what they’re spending their money on. Make your customers fully confident in buying stuff from you by giving them a 360-degree overview of the product.
- Ensure that the backdrop you use is always white. This is because the white in the background is responsible for reflecting the natural light onto the product, making it look evenly lit.
- It is advisable that to capture different pictures to move the product rather than moving the camera or your tripod stand. Keep the product roughly in the same place and just change its direction or angle.
- Make sure that camera flash is off to get the perfect lighting and avoid differences in actual colors and the colors shown in the picture.
- While capturing pictures using a lightbox, natural light is always preferred as compared to artificial light.
- If you want to add some dramatic shadows to your pictures, you can put a lamp on the left or right side of your lightbox to shine and give the shadows you are looking for.
Purpose of Using a Light Box:
These days the majority of product photographers make use of a lightbox to get the perfect image that they are looking for. No matter how professionally you want to capture a product, the majority of the time, an uneven lighting issue or shadows ruin it all. This is where a lightbox comes to the rescue. It helps to ensure that the product is captured even and shadow-less lighting with a perfectly solid background.
Final Words on How to Make a Photo light Box
With social media being used by every single person and increasing business and blogging accounts on different social platforms, filling the feed with perfectly captured pictures is the primary thing that gains all the attention. To fill your feed with pictures that gain followers and buyers, a lightbox can help you out. This article covered how to make a photo lightbox while having regular stuff at home. But if you are looking to purchase one and want to have a list of the best lightboxes you can get your hands on, you can check our article covering the top ten best photography lightboxes.